Smart Summer Snacks
By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Summer is a great time to enjoy healthier versions of your favorite snacks! Snacks provide an ideal opportunity to get more nutrition; they supply energy, help tide us over to our next meal and can be eaten just for fun.
Avoid weight gain with the right snacks. Eating nutritious snacks may help prevent overeating at meal times. Combing high fiber carbohydrates with lean protein can improve appetite and satisfaction and help you avoid overeating at the next meal.
Here are 7 Smart Summer Snacks to enjoy now:
- Whole grain waffle topped w/ low fat cream cheese & Blueberries
- Broiled Mango: Score cut mango across flesh; broil until lightly charred. Sprinkle w/ cinnamon
- Fruit-Yogurt pops: alternate layers of low-fat vanilla yogurt and diced fresh fruit in small paper cups or ice pop molds. Insert wooden sticks; freeze for about 4 hours or until solid.
- Rice cake stacks: Spread rice cakes with scallion cream cheese. Top with sliced cucumber and spread with more cream cheese. Sprinkle with shredded carrot.
- Mini quesadillas: split 2 whole-wheat pita’s in half to create 4 rounds. Sandwich each with shredded cheddar cheese, sliced picked jalapenos and sliced turkey. Bake on parchment-lined backing sheet at 400 degrees until toasted and the cheese melts, about 15 minutes. Cut into wedges.
- Kale Chips: Toss kale leaves (stems removed) with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Spread on cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees until crisp (about 15 minutes).
- Crab-avocado toast: Toss 3/4 cup lump crabmeat with a squeeze of lemon juice and 1 tbsp chopped chives. Mash 1 ripe avocado with 1 teaspoon rice vinegar and season with salt, pepper and hot sauce; spread on 4 slices toasted whole-wheat bread. Top with the crab salad, season with salt and pepper. (serves 4)
Top 5 Articles: