- 1 red onion
- 4 pretzel rolls, about 3 inches in diameter
- 1 pound (15 percent lean) ground beef
- 4 ounces Cambozola cheese, cut into chunks
- 4 cocktail skewers
- Prepare the grill for direct grilling over high heat, about 700 F grill grate temperature.
- Slice red onion into 3/4-inch thick slices. Oil both sides and season with salt. Reserve.
- Slice pretzel rolls. On dessert plate, pour oil and dip cut sides of each roll to coat evenly. Season oiled side with salt. Reserve.
- Form ground beef into patties 1-inch larger in diameter than rolls and about 3/4-inch thick. Recess center of patties so when burgers plump, they will turn out flat.
- Brush each patty on all sides with olive oil and season with salt.
- Grill onion slices until translucent and soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from grill, break slices down into rings and reserve.
- Grill beef patties, turning once, 3-4 minutes per side. Flip patties, adding large ring of onion to each patty. Add small ring or two of onion inside larger ring. Add cheese on top of onion.
- While cheese is melting and bottom of patties are cooking, lightly grill rolls.
- Gently remove burgers when done and transfer directly onto pretzel rolls. Skewer each burger.