By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
August is best known for being hot! The last thing I want to do is fire up the stove for another heat wave, so I go for meals that require minimal prep time and little to no cooking.
Here are a few of my favorite Too Hot to Cook favorites.
Summer Soups: Cold soups such as gazpacho, cucumber and strawberry are light in calories, tasty and hydrating.
Simple Summer Salads: Variety is key; include vegetables, fruits and a protein with a light oil-based dressing.
Summer Sandwiches: To keep it exciting, skip your traditional boring sandwiches and spice it up a little. Swap your bread for a pita pocket, fill with your favorite meat, cheese, and veggies, and top with fresh salsa. Instead of using high fat mayo, finish it off with a delicious good-for-you mashed avocado!
Eat More Seafood: If you really want to stay out of your kitchen go for canned tuna, sardines or salmon. These fish are tasty additions to salads and wraps. Packed with protein and omega-3s, this no-cook solution is a no brainier!
Colorful Family Dinner Board
Prep: 10 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
- 8 ounces Boar’s Head Everroast Oven Roasted Chicken Breast
- 8 Ounces Boar’s Head Turkey Breast
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, sliced
- 8 ounces cheese, cut into wedges
- ½ cup roasted nuts
- ½ cup Raisins
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 cup fresh berries
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 4 Pita breads or flat breads
- Roll up each slice of deli meat and place on board. Arrange remaining ingredients around your board or platter.
- Serve as a fun family dinner.
Recipe: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN