By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
One of my favorite aspects of summer is the simplicity of summer meals. I love incorporating the freshness of seasonal ingredients to pasta; an easy staple that transforms into amazing meals.
- Pasta provides sustained energy and is a low sodium food that is a staple in one of the healthiest diets in the world – the Mediterranean diet!
- Add in plenty of seasonal fresh ingredients such as tomatoes, asparagus, zucchini and basil; enjoy warm or as a cold salad.
- As a make-ahead food, pasta is the perfect addition to your summer weekly meal rotation.
Crunchy Tomato Pasta Salad
Prep: 15 minutes
Chill: 1 hour
Makes: 4 to 5 servings
- 1 pound Barilla Pasta such as Rotini
- 2 cups Grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 6 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- Salt & pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice garlic cloves.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat, add one tablespoon olive oil and toast garlic with slivered almonds, remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Add all ingredients and remaining tablespoon olive oil to large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Chill in refrigerator for about one hour before serving.
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA