By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Make the most of the final days of summer with light & easy summer lunches. Lunches that are make-ahead friendly and take along friendly will make it easier to stick to a healthful diet on the run.
Utilize convenience foods. Some of my favorite easy to prepare items are:
- Canned tuna, salmon or sardines.
- Store prepared rotisserie chicken
- Bagged salad kits
- Pre-cut fruits and veggies found in the produce department
- And lower fat deli meats like turkey and chicken.
I also enjoy taking along friendly foods when I’m on the run or if I’m at the beach of course!
- Canned tuna like Starkist tuna contains an excellent source of protein and omega-3 fats.
- Whole grain crackers like Triscuits make it easy to get your whole grains! I enjoy Top them with a fresh tuna salad for a quick lunch.
Cracker-Tuna Siracha Bowl
Prep: 8 minutes
Makes: 1 Serving
- 6 Triscuit Crackers
- 3 ounces StarKist tuna in water
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ cup sliced seedless cucumber
- ¼ cup sliced red onion
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon Siracha
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- For dressing, combine lemon juice and oil, mix well. Toss tuna with dressing and place in serving bowl.
- To same bowl add tomatoes, cucumber, red onion. Sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds and parsley. Drizzle siracha over all ingredients and enjoy with Triscuit Crackers!
Nutrition Information: 335 Calories; 25g protein; 27g carbohydrate; 16g fat; 452mg sodium; 5g fiber
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA