For the burgers
- 2 pounds freshly ground chuck, (at least 80% lean, a.k.a. 80/20)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces blue cheese, sliced
- 12 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and drained on paper towels
- 6 large Hamburger buns, preferably homemade
For the caramelized onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Prep Time: 30 mins | Ready In: 45 min | Servings: 6
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium heat. Add the onions, stir briefly to coat with oil and cook without stirring for 10-12 minutes.
- Flip so that the onions on the bottom of the pot are now on top, and cook for another 10-12 minutes. Flip one more time, lower heat and allow onions to caramelize until completely brown — about 15 minutes — gently stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside. These can be reheated before you put the burgers together.
- In a large bowl, mix ground beef, onion powder, salt and pepper until just combined. Do not overmix, or your patties will be tough.
- Divide into six portions and form patties, without pressing too hard. They should be uniform in thickness. Smooth out any cracks using your fingers. Make these right before you grill them, so they stay at room temperature.
- Preheat your grill, grill pan or cast-iron skillet to high heat and add burger patties. If using a grill, cover with the lid.
- Cook until the crust that forms on the bottom of the burger releases it from the pan or grate — about 2 minutes. Gently test, but don’t flip it until it gets to this point. When burgers lift up easily, flip, add enough blue cheese to cover completely, close lid if using a grill, and cook on the other side for another 2-3 minutes for medium to medium rare.
- Remove patties carefully using a metal spatula and transfer to buns. Top with caramelized onions and bacon and serve immediately.
640 Calories | 40g Total Fat | 17g Saturated Fat | 130mg Cholesterol | 1150mg Sodium | 650mg Potassium | 26g Carbohydrate | 2g Dietary Fiber | 5g Sugars | 41g Protein
Recipe Source: Yummly/Food Republic