Summer is well underway and the temperatures continue to rise. One of the easiest ways to remain energized throughout the sweltering months ahead is to remain fully hydrated throughout the day. However, so many find themselves tired of the plain old glass of water. Rather than rely on the single slice of lemon, or worse… sugary sodas and fruit drinks, why not try delicious infused water recipes? Not only do they provide a tasty way to intake the recommended eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day, but they are easy to make and ultra-refreshing. Stock up on the ingredients you’ll need for these DIY flavored waters during your next trip down the produce department of your local Foodtown supermarket.
How to Make Infused Water
Infused water is an easy and affordable way to stay hydrated and happy this summer—all you’ll need are water and your choice of flavorings. While there is no wrong or right way to infuse water, here’s a basic recipe to follow, as well as some fruit, vegetable, and herb ideas to get you started.
- 1 Cup Fruit and/or Vegetable of your choice
- 3 Tablespoons Herbs or Spices of your choice
- 1 Pitcher of Water
- Slice the fruit and/or vegetables into bite-sized pieces and place at the bottom of your pitcher, along with herbs, if using.
- Slightly mash fruits, vegetables, and herbs until juices are released.
- Fill the pitcher with water and refrigerator for at least one hour to allow flavors to infuse.
Fruit Infused Water Ideas
Fruit is one of the most common additions to water and almost any juicy fruit will do. As you browse our Produce Department’s fruit selection, consider: apples, blackberries, cantaloupe, cherries, grapefruit, honeydew, kiwi, lemons, limes, oranges, peaches, pineapple, raspberries, strawberries, and watermelon.
Vegetable Infused Water Ideas
Fresh vegetables can be added to water along with fruit, or they can be used on their own. Pick up some of the following during your next grocery store visit: beets, bell pepper, celery, cucumber, fennel, and jalapenos.
Herb & Spice Infused Water Ideas
Both fresh herbs and dried spices add a bright pop of flavor, perfect on their own or added with produce. Take a trip through our produce and pantry departments to find: cardamom, cinnamon sticks, ginger root, fresh basil, mint, rosemary, and vanilla beans.
Infused Water Combinations
Not sure where to start when it comes to flavored water? Here are some of our favorite combinations:
- Cucumber, Strawberry, and Mint
- Lemon, Raspberry, and Rosemary
- Ginger Root and Lemon Juice
- Watermelon, Honeydew, and Mint
- Apple and Cinnamon
- Orange, Pear, and Fennel
- Orange, Cinnamon, and Cardamom
- Cucumber, Mint, and Jalapeno
- Grapefruit, Orange, and Lime
- Strawberry, Lemon, and Basil
- Blackberry, Lime, and Mint
- Watermelon and Basil
- Pear, Vanilla Beans, and Cinnamon Sticks
Hydration Made Easy with Fresh Ingredients from Foodtown Grocery Stores
Staying hydrated this summer is easier than ever with a little help from Foodtown. During your next visit, take advantage of the affordable prices on the fruits, vegetables, herbs, and spices you’ll need to create these tasty and refreshing infused water recipes. Happy sipping!