By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
October 12th, 2018
Seasonal produce is one notary characteristic of what makes the fall months so fantastic. Pumpkin and apples are just two foods that are most commonly celebrated at this time of year, but we can’t forget about the abundance of delicious greens like lettuce and cabbage or the colored variety of squash.
Purchasing produce at its peak guarantees the freshest taste, the greatest nutritional value and the most affordable price.
What to buy? Carrots, sweet potatoes, peppers, and green onions are just a few popular produce items that should be enjoyed in the harvest season.
How to prepare? Season your fall-fresh veggies using autumnal spices and seasonings like cloves, peppercorns, mustard seeds, and ginger. Bake them to create a warm and cozy side dish, soup or to compliment a rustic pasta dish.
Tips to enjoying apples this fall…
- Kale + Apples + Quinoa + Walnuts
- Arugula + Fuji Apples + Lentils + Parmesan
- Spinach + Granny Smith Apples + Chicken + Pecans + Red Onion
Apple Grilled Cheese
Prep: 5 minutes
Makes: 3 sandwiches
- 1 Apple
- 3 slices muenster cheese
- ½ teaspoon herbs de Provence
- Cooking spray
- Carefully slice the apple into one-fourth inch round slices.
- Layer two apple rounds with cheese and a sprinkle of herbs. Tip Use a round biscuit cutter to create cheese slices the same size as the apple slices.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray and place the apple “sandwich” in the pan and grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, just until the apple softens and light grill marks appear. Enjoy!
- Tip: Be careful not to overcook the apples or the cheese will melt out!
Recipe by: Stemilt Growers