By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
October 5th, 2018
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month; while no food or diet can prevent you from getting breast cancer, research has shown that eating a healthy diet and getting regular exercise can help reduce your chances for getting cancer and many other non-communicable diseases. Make sure to practice a healthy lifestyle each day.
Help Reduce Your Risk of Breast Cancer…
- Limit your intake of saturated fats. Eat more healthy fats, like fish, nuts and olive oil
- Fill up on fiber: Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables; strive for more than 5 cups per day.
- Watch your alcohol intake. A glass of red wine or beer occasionally may actually benefit your health.
- Eat foods high in omega-3 fatty acids such as fish, walnuts and flaxseed.
- Avoid trans fats, processed meats, and charred or smoked foods.
- Keep your body weight in a healthy range for your height and frame.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes, five times a week.
- If you are at or above the age of 40, be sure to have a mammogram one time per year and breast self-exam monthly. Prevention is the best medicine!
A healthy weight also significantly contributes to health status. Seek a Registered Dietitian for a nutrition screening and assessment if you are at risk. For more information on cancer prevention and to learn about raising awareness, contact the American Cancer Society.
Salmon, Walnut and Avocado Grain Bowls
Kale, grains and toasted walnuts are the base for this healthy bowl. Toss with a chipotle lime vinaigrette and top with salmon, avocado, beans, peppers and cilantro.
Prep: 40 minutes
Serves: 6 minutes
Chipotle Lime Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound salmon fillets
- 4 cups kale, chopped and lightly packed
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup California walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 1 1/3 cups cooked black beans
- 3/4 cup red or green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 2 large green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. (May be prepared several days ahead.)
- Cook salmon on a well-oiled grill over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and remove skin. Let cool, then cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Mix kale and brown rice together in a large bowl and toss with vinaigrette. Place equal amounts on one side of 4 large salad bowls.
- Place equal amounts of walnuts, salmon, black beans, bell pepper, avocado and green onion on the other side of the bowl.
- Garnish with cilantro and additional walnuts for garnish.
Recipe: California Walnuts