By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Hosting a party for the Big Game? It’s not just about the game – it’s also about the friends, fun, and food! My favorite Big Game snacks are easy to make, delicious, and nutritious of course. Follow these helpful hints to satisfy the football fans at your game gathering without fumbling your diet.
- Keep your “team” satisfied with hearty and nutritious snacks such as nuts (almonds, peanuts, pistachios & walnuts), cheese, dried fruits (apricots, cranberries, raisins), raw veggies with light ranch dressing and popcorn!
- Start with fresh avocados for healthier dips as well as hummus, salsa and bean dip – pair with raw veggies, whole grain crackers and baked corn chips.
- Heat it up at half time! Before half time starts, preheat your oven to make warm and hearty snacks. Melt cheese over crackers, veggies, or hot sandwiches. Reduced fat cheeses can have as much as 33 percent less fat than regular cheese!
- Ditch the boring hamburgers and hot dogs – Use a store-prepared rotisserie chicken as the foundation for tasty bites such as quesadillas, paninis and my Mini Chicken Taco Bites! (recipe below)
- Chili is a staple on game day – Prepare chili using the leanest beef or turkey possible. In addition, use less meat and more beans to create a higher fiber and lower fat meal.
- Have a small snack before the party starts such as yogurt, a few nuts or fruit. This will ensure you don’t start the Big Game festivities with a ravenous appetite and end up overeating.
Mini Chicken Taco Cups
Prep: 10 minutes
Broil: 12 minutes
Makes: 40 Taco cups
- 10 ounces Green Way Rotisserie chicken breast, skin removed
- ½ cup chunky salsa (mild or spicy)
- 1 to 1 ½ Ripe Hass® Avocados, flesh cubed and removed from skin
- ½ to ¾ cup Mexican style finely shredded cheese (use more cheese for a creamier texture)
- 1 Bag Tostitos® Multigrain scoops
- 40 Pickled or fresh jalapeno slices (optional)
- ¼ cup Light Sour Cream (optional)
- Using two forks, shred chicken breast and place into a large bowl.
- Stir in salsa, avocado and cheese until well combined.
- Preheat Broiler.
- Meanwhile, using a spoon fill each Tostito® scoop with chicken filling and place onto a baking sheet. Place under broiler for 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven; if desired, place one jalapeno slice on each taco cup followed by a dab of sour cream. Serve immediately.
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Nutrition Information per Taco Bite:
31 Calories; 2g Carbohydrate; 1.5g total Fat; 2.5g Protein; 76mg Sodium; 0.4g Fiber