By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
A well-planned diet includes healthy snacks to keep cravings and hunger at bay. If you’re hosting a crowd for the Big Game, you’ll want plenty of finger foods to keep your fans happy! A mix of lean proteins, carbs and healthy fats is a great way to satisfy everyone’s palate.
Here are some ideas…
- Chicken breast is a lean, high protein option that is versatile enough to go from main dish to bite-sized snacks.
- Van’s® Waffles can be sweet or savory. Think fruit & waffles or mini chicken and waffle bites. (See recipe below)!
- Store bought dips like hummus and guacamole will make entertaining a breeze! Don’t forget to pick up pre-cut veggies to go along side your dips.
Trail Mix “Bar”
I love this idea for a get-together! Create a mix and match trail mix bar so your guests can indulge on their favorite snacks. Here are some mix-in’s to get started…
- Dark chocolate chips
- Dried fruits: Raisins, cranberries, apples, apricots
- Chex® Cereal
- Nuts: Peanuts, pistachio’s, walnuts, almonds
Sweet & Spicy Chicken & Waffles
Chicken & waffles is definitely a southern favorite, but I’ve seen them more and more in northeast restaurants (I mean they’re delicious)! This smaller and unfried version will let you indulge without the added fat and save you some unwanted calories! You’ll love them for a weekend get together!
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Makes: 18 servings
- 1 pound Greenway® Chicken breast
- 1 cup Panko Crumbs
- ¼ cup egg whites
- 5 Van’s® Original Waffles
- 4 Scallions, sliced
- 2 very ripe Avocados
- 2 Tablespoons Siracha
- 3 ounces Maple or Sugar Free Syrup (see note)
- Salt & pepper
- 18 sandwich picks
- Cut chicken breast into 18 bite sized pieces, season with salt & pepper.
- Pour egg white into a bowl, in a separate bowl add panko crumbs. Season panko with ½ teaspoon salt & pepper.
- Dip each chicken piece into egg white followed by bread crumbs, coat well and place on a cookie sheet. Once all pieces are coated, place in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Meanwhile, prepare avocado siracha dressing. Place avocado in a bowl, mash well with a fork until smooth, stir in siracha. Place dressing into a resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate until ready to use. When ready, cut the corner of the bag to allow dressing to flow through.
- Place chicken in oven and bake for a total of 15 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Toast waffles according to package directions, cut each waffle into quarters.
- Assembly: Top each waffle with 1 teaspoon syrup followed by one piece of chicken, drizzle avocado-siracha dressing over chicken, slide sandwich pick down the center and sprinkle with scallions. Serve immediately.
Note: Nutrition facts were created using sugar free syrup, Maple syrup adds 19 calories; 5g carbohydrate)
Nutrition information: (1/4 waffle, 1 piece chicken, 1 tsp sugar free syrup, 1 tsp avo-siracha)
163 Calories; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Fat; 9g Protein; 211mg Sodium; 1g Fiber