By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
As we welcome in 2022, our focus continues on improving our overall health and wellness. Focusing on sustainable healthy habits is what will allow you to see benefits long term rather than trying “quick fixes” that are short lived.
- Add an additional fruit or vegetable serving daily. Once you’re comfortable, add an extra serving until you reach a total of 8 to 10 a day.
- Focus on choosing health promoting foods and activities rather than restriction. For example, Include lean proteins like cod fish in your diet twice weekly for heart health benefits.
- Cook at home more often. You’ll have greater control over ingredients and an easier time controlling portions and calories.
Here are a few more actionable steps you can take to feel your best…
- Meditate: Mediation has been shown to reduce stress which can have profound benefits on your mental health. It can also help reduce blood pressure.
- Choose wholesome lean proteins like fish, chicken, beef and beans, veggies, fruits and whole grains! Build your diet around these foods and limit processed foods as much as possible.
- Exercise: Sneak in just three 10-minute sessions or 30 minutes a day. Exercise not only helps in managing weight, but it is a sure-fire way to help increase feelings of wellness!
- Sleep: Lack of sleep can increase hunger and affect the body’s metabolism. Lack of sleep can also increase stress making it more difficult to deal with normal daily activities. If you’re having trouble sleeping, talk to your doctor about cognitive therapies that can help.
- Increase Fiber: Strive for 20-35 grams daily. Foods rich in fiber include vegetables, fruits, whole grains and beans.
Oven Roasted Cod with Potatoes & Tomatoes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: approximately 40 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
- 4 (6 ounce) portions fresh cod fish
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Drizzle Olive oil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- Salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes to water and cook for 10-15 minutes until just tender but not soft enough to fall apart.
- Remove from water, let cool and slice thinly add to a Dutch oven in a circular formation overlapping with onion, tomatoes, garlic. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, paprika. Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season fish with salt, pepper and Paprika. Drizzle with olive oil. Add fish to top of potatoes and place lemon slices over fish, continue to cook for another 15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA