By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
A new year calls for new habits and routines. Breakfast is a great place to start. Starting your day with breakfast means a more alert brain and a more active body! After a 10 to 12 hour fast, our bodies need the fuel to maintain vital functions and our brains need the fuel to think clearly.
Here are six more reasons to start your day with breakfast!
- Studies show that people who eat breakfast are more successful at losing weight and sticking to a diet.
- Eating breakfast can raise metabolism by as much as 10 percent.
- Adults who skip breakfast are less mentally and physically efficient for longer periods of during the day.
- It is extremely difficult to get all of your necessary daily nutrients without breakfast.
- Eating breakfast has been shown to increase concentration
- Eating a bigger meal in the morning and a smaller meal at night optimizes your daily energy levels.
Stuck in rut? Check out my easy and delicious breakfast favorites!
High Energy Peanut Butter Oats:
Cook oats according to package directions, however instead of water use low fat milk for your liquid, once cooked stir in one tablespoon natural peanut butter and two tablespoons golden raises.
Bacon, Egg & Cheese Sandwich:
Prepare one whole egg over well in a skillet (top with one slice of cheese one minute before cooked) , meanwhile cook 2 slices turkey bacon and toast two slices whole wheat bread or whole wheat English Muffin.
Crunchy Waffles & Yogurt:
Toast two whole grain waffles, top each with 1/4 cup Greek yogurt of your choices and sprinkle with two tablespoons chopped peanuts and 1/4 cup blueberries
Easy Farmer’s Market Omelet
Total Prep: 10 minutes
Makes: 1 omelet
- 2 Eggland’s Best eggs
- 1 cup left over cooked veggies (ie. zucchini, broccoli, peppers and onions, asparagus)
- 1 ounce cheese, shredded
- 1 whole grain wrap or 2 slices toast
- Cooking spray
- Salt & pepper
- Beat eggs in a medium size bowl, stir in vegetables, season with salt & pepper.
- Next, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once warm, spray with cooking spray and add egg mixture, turn heat to low-medium.
- Once egg appears dry and not runny, add cheese and fold over egg in half. Continue to cook for 1 minute, flip over and cook for 1 minute more.
- Serve with wrap or bread of choice.
- Take along tip: Place egg inside whole grain wrap, and roll up inside aluminum foil.
Nutrition Information: 366 Calories; 22g Carbohydrate; 21g Fat; 23g Protein; 981mg sodium; 6g Fiber