By: Jacqueline Gomes, MBA, RDN
Comfort foods…we all have them and we all love them! They can make us feel emotionally satisfied, remember a special occasion or serve as a reward or temporary calming. What are your favorite comfort foods? Some popular choices include macaroni and cheese, chocolate and lasagna for instance.
Is there a way to turn your comfort food into a deliciously healthy meal or snack? With just a few modifications there may be!
- Instead of Sour Cream, Choose low fat Greek Yogurt instead.
- Add in more veggies like carrots, tomatoes or mushrooms to a lasagna or casserole
- Mix in pureed cauliflower to mashed potatoes or Macaroni & cheese
- Choose dark chocolate over semi-sweet chocolate for a boost of antioxidant flavonoids.
- And who doesn’t love creamy or crunchy nut butter! Natural nut butters like Justin’s Almond Butter adds a boost of healthy fats to meals and sweet treats.
Let’s whip up a sweet & savory comforting snack you and the kids will love. With only 3 ingredients it’s a cinch to make just before watching your favorite show!
Crunchy Banana Roll
Prep: 5 minutes
Makes: 10 slices
- 1 banana
- 2 tablespoons Justin’s Nut Butter of choice
- 1/2 cup cereal of choice, crushed
- Peel banana. Spread nut butter over the banana (skewering the banana with a toothpick makes it easier to hold and less messy).
- Place the crushed cereal in a shallow dish and roll banana in cereal to coat. Slice banana into 10 pieces and arrange on a plate and enjoy!