By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Packing your child’s lunch with creative and fun foods is the best way to ensure they’ll enjoy a well-balanced meal. Whether you’re prepping a “mommy & me” lunch or packing it to-go, here are a few ways to keep it fun!
- Aim for color. Add eye catching foods like red grape tomatoes, star fruit, baby carrots & dip, guacamole & chips and whole grain breads.
- Use Bento Boxes. This framework for your child’s lunch differentiates foods in each box and makes lunch fun & exciting.
- Use Leftovers. Kids have favorite dinners that pack well in plastic containers or thermoses like pasta and meatballs or homemade soup.
- Stuck in Sandwich-ville? Wrap it up instead, make pinwheels or roll-ups with their favorite ingredients like peanut butter & banana.
- Get them in the mix! Involving your kids in lunch prep increase the likelihood that they’ll eat it!
Eat Well tip: Well-timed snacks can help prevent crankiness and irritability and help prevent overeating at mealtime.
- String Cheese & crackers– a tasty protein & energy packed snack
- Sliced apple rings with peanut butter & dark chocolate chips
- Single serve hummus cup with baby carrots
- Mini Cracker sandwiches: Two crackers filled with cream cheese & strawberries