By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
The Big Game is one of the most anticipated fun food days of the year! The trick to making this an easy & fun day is to choose snacks that are bite size, finger food friendly and even “make your own” food stations with some fun and healthy ingredients.
Follow these helpful hints to satisfy your football fans on game day without fumbling your diet.
- Keep your “team” satisfied with nutritious snacks such as nuts, cheese, dried fruits raw veggies with light ranch dressing and popcorn!
- Start with fresh avocados for healthier dips as well as hummus, salsa and bean dip.
- Heat it up at half time! Before half time starts, preheat your oven to make warm and hearty snacks. Melt cheese over crackers, veggies, or hot sandwiches.
- Chili is a staple on game day – Prepare chili using the leanest beef or turkey possible. In addition, use less meat and more beans to create a higher fiber and lower fat meal.
- Have a small snack before the party starts such as yogurt, a few nuts or fruit. This will ensure you don’t start the Big Game festivities with a ravenous appetite and end up overeating.
- Ditch the boring hamburgers and hotdogs – Use a store-prepared rotisserie chicken as the foundation for tasty bites like quesadillas, paninis and my Mini Chicken Taco Bites!
Mini Chicken Taco Bites
Prep: 10 minutes
Broil: 12 minutes
Makes: 40 Taco cups
- 10 ounces Green Way Rotisserie chicken breast, skin removed
- ½ cup chunky salsa (mild or spicy)
- 1 to 1 ½ Ripe Hass® Avocados, flesh cubed and removed from skin
- ½ to ¾ cup Mexican style finely shredded cheese (use more cheese for a creamier texture)
- 1 Bag Tostitos® Multigrain scoops
- 40 Pickled or fresh jalapeno slices (optional)
- ¼ cup Light Sour Cream (optional)
- Using two forks, shred chicken breast and place into a large bowl.
- Stir in salsa, avocado and cheese until well combined.
- Preheat Broiler.
- Meanwhile, using a spoon fill each Tostito® scoop with chicken filling and place onto a baking sheet. Place under broiler for 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven; if desired, place one jalapeno slice on each taco cup followed by a dab of sour cream. Serve immediately.
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Nutrition Information per Taco Bite:
31 Calories; 2g Carbohydrate; 1.5g total Fat; 2.5g Protein; 76mg Sodium; 0.4g Fiber