By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
March 16th, 2018
You may have heard that 80% of your results at the gym depend on your diet; you simply cannot separate fitness and nutrition! When you finish a tough workout your body is screaming for some nourishment. A post-workout snack is meant to repair and refuel your muscles. This meal should contain a mix of carbohydrate, protein and be low in fat. Here are some satisfying options that will help your body recover from your workout and prepare you for your next training session! But first….what to eat pre workout?
Pre Workout and Post Workout Foods
The goal of your pre workout meal is to include a small amount of protein needed to build and repair muscle. This meal should also be low in fat and fiber for easy digestion.
Pre-Workout Snacks & Meals
One to two Hours Before
- 1 tsp of Peanut butter w/ ½ banana
- Low-fat Greek Yogurt Parfait
- ½ cup Low-fat cottage cheese w/ fruit
- 1 ounce Sliced turkey breast with low-fat string cheese and 2 whole grain or rice crackers
- 1 hard-boiled egg and 1 slice light whole wheat toast
- Low-fat tuna melt
- 2 Rice Cakes w/ 1 tbsp nut/seed butter (Soy butter, peanut, almond or sunflower seed butter)
- High protein oatmeal
- Egg, avocado & toast
Post Workout Snacks & Meals
30 to 60 minutes following your workout
- Low Fat Chocolate Milk
- Fruit & Low fat yogurt
- Cereal with skim milk
- Dried fruit and nuts
- Turkey sandwich
- Veggie omelet
- Cheese & Crackers
- Protein bar
- Rice cake with hummus
High Protein Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup quick cook rolled oats
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 scoop whey protein powder
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- sprinkle of Cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- Mix ingredients together in a bowl except for bananas. (Oats through vanilla).
- Place in microwave for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave 1 minute more.
- Stir in bananas and enjoy!
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA