June is National Dairy Month
June is National Dairy Month, a perfect time to increase your intake of nutrient-rich dairy foods. Dairy products are a good source of calcium, which is critical for strong bones, teeth, muscle movement, blood flow and nerve, enzyme and heart functions. A diet that is rich in calcium can provide a number of important benefits to your body. Look for our shelf tag to identify items throughout the store that are a good source of calcium.
According to the Office of Dietary Supplements, you can get recommended amounts of calcium by eating a variety of foods, including the following:
- Milk, yogurt, and cheese are the main food sources of calcium for the majority of people in the United States.
- Kale, broccoli, and Chinese cabbage are fine vegetable sources of calcium.
- Fish with soft bones that you eat, such as canned sardines and salmon, are fine animal sources of calcium.
- Most grains (such as breads, pastas, and unfortified cereals), while not rich in calcium, add significant amounts of calcium to the diet because people eat them often or in large amounts.
- Calcium is added to some breakfast cereals, fruit juices, soy and rice beverages, and tofu. To find out whether these foods have calcium, check the product labels.