Too Hot to Cook!
By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
It’s August! And the words hot and humid come to mind! The last thing I want to do is fire up the stove for another heat wave. So instead, I go for foods that require minimal prep time and little to no cooking – Here are a few of my Too Hot to Cook favorites.
Summer Soups: Cold soups such as gazpacho, cucumber and strawberry are light in calories, tasty and hydrating.
Simple Summer Salads: Variety is key; include vegetables, fruits and a protein with a light oil-based dressing.
Summer Sandwiches: Swap your bread for a pita pocket, fill with your favorite meat, cheese, and veggies, and top with fresh salsa. Instead of using high fat mayo, finish it off with a delicious good-for-you mashed avocado!
Store prepared rotisserie chicken: If you really want to stay out of your kitchen, pick up a Perdue® rotisserie chicken that easily converts into a number of meals from chicken salad to chicken tacos!
No-Cook Crunchy Chicken Salad
My no-cook crunchy chicken salad is lower in fat and calories compared to a traditional recipe, serve alongside a Dole® Salad kit – another easy way to up your nutrition without the fuss.
Prep: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
- 3 Cups chopped Perdue Rotisserie Chicken Breast (about 12-16 oz) (store prepared)
- 1/3 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- ½ cup green grapes, halved
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- Prepare dressing by combining yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper into a large bowl – whisk to combine.
- Add in chicken, grapes, celery, onion and bell pepper. Stir to combine and garnish with parsley.
- Serve over garden salad with crusty bread or crackers!
Nutrition Information ¼ of recipe:
308 calories; 11g carbohydrate; 22g protein; 1199mg sodium; 1.5g fiber