By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
It’s August, and the last thing I want to do is fire up the stove for another heat wave! This time of year calls for cool foods that require minimal prep and cooking times. After all, you’ll want to pack some “cooler friendly” foods that are easy to take to the beach or the pool! Here are a few of my favorite Too Hot to Cook favorites.
Summer Soups: Cold soups such as gazpacho, cucumber and strawberry are light in calories, tasty and hydrating.
Simple Summer Salads: Variety is key; include vegetables, fruits and a protein with a light oil-based dressing.
Summer Sandwiches: To keep it exciting, skip your traditional boring sandwiches and spice it up a little. Swap your bread for a pita pocket, fill with your favorite meat, cheese, and veggies, and top with fresh salsa. Instead of using high fat mayo, finish it off with a delicious good-for-you mashed avocado!
Eat More Seafood: If you really want to stay out of your kitchen go for canned tuna, sardines or salmon. These fish are tasty additions to salads and wraps. Packed with protein and omega-3’s, this no-cook solution is a no brainier!
Tip: Pick up a store prepared rotisserie chicken to round out soups, salads and create satisfying sandwiches!
Summer Corn, Avocado & Tomato Salad
Prep: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
- 3 Ears fresh corn, husked
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 6-8 Fresh Basil leaves
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Place corn in boiling water, cover and turn off heat. Let sit for 10 minutes. Remove from water and rinse under cold water.
- Place one end of the cob on a large cutting board or inside a large wide bowl. Using a sharp chef’s knife, cut downward on all sides of the corn as close to the base of the kernels as possible. Simply rotate the corn until all of the kernels have been removed. Place corn kernels in the refrigerator to cool.
- Cut grape tomatoes in half and place in a large serving bowl.
- Cut avocado into large chunks and add to serving bowl with tomatoes.
Putting it all together:
Combine corn with tomatoes and avocado. Add basil leaves and lemon juice, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat.
For best flavor, refrigerate salad for 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe & Image by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA