By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Cold and flu season has arrived; staying as healthy as you can, can support a stronger immune system. There are no known cures for colds and flu, so prevention is key.
Wash Your Hands Often: Most cold and flu viruses are spread by direct contact. Wash your hands often and/or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Drink Plenty of Fluids: Water keeps the tissues of the respiratory system moist and helps the immune system function properly.
Do Aerobic Exercise Regularly: Moderate exercise – 30 to 90 minutes most days of the week increases immune function and reduces your chances of catching a cold.
Control Stress: People who are experiencing emotional stress have weakened immune systems and are more likely to catch a cold than their calmer counterparts.
Strengthen your immune system with the right foods
- Some studies have shown that eating a daily cup of low-fat yogurt can reduce your susceptibility to colds by 25 percent.
- Phytochemical are natural chemical found in plants that give the vitamins in food a supercharged boost. Eat dark green, red, and yellow vegetables and fruits.
- 100% orange juice like Florida’s Natural provides a good source of potassium for a healthy blood pressure, folic acid and an excellent source of antioxidant Vitamin C, which has been shown to help support a healthy immune system.
- Eat Soup! Studies have shown that chicken soup specifically can thin mucus secretions. The vegetables in soup will give a healthy does of antioxidants to support a healthy immune system and the noodles will give you much needed energy from carbohydrate. A convenient option is Health Valley Organic Chicken soup.
Orange-ade Immune Booster
Start your day with immune boosting vitamin C and turmeric! Turmeric is a spice that has been studied for its potential benefits in reducing inflammation and disease.
Prep: 5 minutes
Makes: 3 servings
- 5 cups of Florida’s Natural orange juice
- 1-inch fresh ginger, peeled
- 1-inch fresh turmeric, peeled (See NOTE)
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1/3 cup of honey, more or less to taste
- ½ whole fresh lemon, juiced (optional, but recommended)
- Pour all ingredients into a pitcher. Chill and serve.
Recipe note: if unable to find Fresh Turmeric, increase ground turmeric to 1 teaspoon.