Cutting back on salt is a helpful way to control high blood pressure and improve overall health. So, you may be asking yourself “if I should cut back on salt, then what do I use in its place?” Great question! – Here are some suggestions:
For meat, poultry and fish, try one or more of these combinations of spices and herbs:
- Beef: Bay leaf, marjoram, nutmeg, onion, pepper, sage, thyme
- Lamb: Curry powder, garlic, rosemary, mint
- Pork: Garlic, onion, sage, pepper, oregano
- Veal: Bay leaf, curry powder, ginger, marjoram, oregano
- Chicken: Ginger, marjoram, oregano, paprika, rosemary, sage, tarragon, thyme
- Fish: Curry powder, dill, dry mustard, marjoram, paprika, pepper
- Carrots: Cinnamon, cloves, dill, ginger, marjoram, nutmeg, rosemary, sage
- Corn: Cumin, curry powder, onion, paprika, parsley
- Green Beans: Dill, curry powder, marjoram, oregano, tarragon, thyme
- Greens: Onions, pepper
- Potato: Dill, garlic, onion, paprika, parsley, sage
- Summer Squash: Cloves, curry powder, marjoram, nutmeg, rosemary, sage
- Winter Squash: Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, onion
- Tomatoes: Basil, bay leaf, dill, marjoram, onion, oregano, parsley, pepper
Grilled Peppery Top Round Steak with Parmesan Asparagus
Marinate: 6 hours or overnight
Cook: 10 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 beef top round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons shredded
- Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients in medium bowl. Place beef steak and marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Toss asparagus with oil. Place steak in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange asparagus around steak. Grill steak, uncovered, 8 to 9 minutes for medium rare doneness, turning occasionally. Grill asparagus 6 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning occasionally.
- Sprinkle cheese over asparagus immediately. Carve steak into thin slices. Season with salt, as desired. Serve with asparagus.
- To make asparagus spears easier to turn on the grill, thread them ladder-style onto two 12-inch metal skewers. Insert a skewer about 1 inch from each end of spear, leaving small space between spears. Use tongs to turn entire asparagus “ladder” for even cooking.
Nutrition information per serving:
238 calories; 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 64 mg cholesterol; 272 mg sodium; 5 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 31 g protein.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.