By: Jacqueline Gomes, MBA, RDN
We all know her…she works a full time job, gets two or three kids up in the morning for school, prepares breakfast, lunch & dinner, drives to and from school events and the list goes on and on – her name is “mom”. Let’s take care of this special woman in your life by pampering her on her special day. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Breakfast in Bed – recipe below for a mouth-watering Farmer’s Market Omelet.
- No time for breakfast? Dinner will work great too – roasted chicken with vegetables, pasta primavera or baked fish are easy and delicious choices.
- Take care of her chores for the day.
- Give her some much needed quiet time.
- Spa experience, send her to her favorite spa for a massage, manicure and/or pedicure.
- Flowers – don’t go empty handed! Stop in one of our stores for a beautiful arrangement.
- Homemade gifts such as beaded bracelets, pottery or a painting are gifts the kids can have fun making for mom.
Farmer’s Market Omelet
- 4 Eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 Tablespoons water
- COMBINE filling ingredients in 7 to 10-inch nonstick omelet pan or skillet. COOK and stir over medium heat until water has evaporated and vegetables are crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. REMOVE from pan; keep warm. CLEAN pan.
- BEAT eggs, 1/4-cup water, cheese, basil and garlic powder in medium bowl until blended. HEAT butter in same pan over medium-high heat until hot. TILT pan to coast bottom. POUR In 1/2 of the egg mixture. Mixture should set immediately at edges.
- GENTLY PUSH cooked portions from edges toward the center with inverted turner so that uncooked eggs can reach the hot pan surface. CONTINUE cooking, tilting pan and gently moving cooked portions as needed.
- When top surface of eggs is thickened and no visible liquid egg remains, PLACE 1/2 of the filling on one side of the omelet. FOLD omelet in half with turner and sliced onto plate; keep warm. REPEAT with remaining egg mixture and filling to make second omelet. SERVE immediately.
Recipe Source: The Incredible Edible Egg