By: Jacqueline Gomes, MBA, RDN
Football and food – a natural combination like peanut butter and jelly and syrup on pancakes. Yes, we all like to indulge during tailgating events…but what if you’re watching your waistline? No worries, you can still indulge guilt-free. Here are some tips…
- Keep your “team” satisfied with hearty and nutritious snacks such as nuts (almonds, peanuts, pistachios & walnuts), cheese, dried fruits (apricots, cranberries, raisins), raw veggies with light ranch dressing and popcorn!
- Delightful Dips. Choose Tribe hummus, guacamole, salsa and bean dip – pair with raw veggies, Ritz whole grain crackers and baked corn chips.
- Heat it up at half time! Before half time starts, preheat your oven to make warm and hearty snacks. Melt cheese over crackers, veggies, or hot sandwiches. Reduced fat cheeses can have as much as 33 percent less fat than regular cheese!
- Power up with protein – prepare lean turkey burgers, chicken or beef kabobs, black bean burgers or lean steak sandwiches – easy to prepare, delicious options that are high in protein.
- Cozy up with chili – Prepare chili using the leanest beef or turkey possible. In addition, use less meat and more beans to create a higher fiber and lower fat meal.
- Have a small snack before the party starts such as yogurt, a few nuts or fruit. This will ensure you don’t start the festivities with a ravenous appetite and end up overeating.
Prep: 5 minutes
Makes: 10 to 12 servings
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into diagonal one-inch rounds
- Mediterranean Style Tribe Hummus
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- Handful of Parsley, chopped
- Olive tapenade
- Cut a French loaf into diagonal one-inch rounds.
- Spread each round with one to two tablespoons Tribe Mediterranean Style Hummus, top with teaspoon chopped tomatoes, parsley, and one tablespoon olive tapenade. Enjoy!
Recipe by: Tribe Hummus