By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
March 7th, 2019
If you’ve been hibernating this winter and are noticing the extra pounds adding up, you’re not alone; now is the time to spring into shape! Getting extra physical activity is one very important component, but diet even more so. Combining the two is the best way to take you from overweight to healthy weight…
- Drink More Water! Studies show proper hydration keeps your metabolism running at its peak.
- Boost Energy with Breakfast! Start your day with sensible selections like fresh fruit, nonfat milk, protein foods such as peanut butter or eggs and whole grains. An easy, on-the-go breakfast is a peanut butter and banana sandwich!
- Keep Lunch Light! Avoid the temptation to order out. Plan a lunch that includes vegetables and a lean protein source like tuna or boneless skinless chicken breast. Watch out for heavy dressings and mayonnaise.
- Plan Snacks! Eating mini between-meal snacks can help control portions at mealtime by curbing hunger.
- Power up with Protein! Choosing high-quality protein foods, like eggs, tofu & fish, helps build muscle and increases feelings of satiety, which can help you maintain a healthy weight.
- Commit to exercise! Develop a routine you enjoy and stick with it! Exercise can be broken up into short burst of activity throughout the day; 15 minutes during lunch and 15 minutes after dinner –30 minutes a day; now that’s no sweat!
Roasted Asparagus Salad with Poached Eggs
This super tasty and fresh salad will be your go-to meal this spring! With an Excellent source of protein, low calories and quick prep you can’t go wrong.
Prep: 10 Min
Cook: 10 Min
Makes: 2 Servings
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends peeled with vegetable peeler
- 2 Eggland’s Best Large Eggs
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup micro-greens (optional)
- 1/2 cup sliced smoked salmon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Put asparagus on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil then toss with salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, poach your eggs. Heat a pan of water to boiling. Add 1 teaspoon of vinegar.
- Crack one Eggland’s Best Egg in a small bowl.
- Once the water is boiling stir the water to form a whirlpool and gently slid in the egg.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from water and dry on a paper towel.
- Salt and pepper the egg. Do the same with the second egg.
- Assemble salad – put roasted asparagus on a plate. Top with salmon, micro-greens, onions, and dill.
- Top with warm poached eggs. Serve immediately.