By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Summer is a great time to enjoy healthier versions of your favorite snacks!
Snacks provide an ideal opportunity to get more nutrition; they supply energy, help tide us over to our next meal and can be eaten just for fun.
Eating nutritious snacks may help prevent overeating at meal times. A smart strategy is to combine high fiber carbohydrates with lean protein which can regulate appetite and improve satisfaction, helping you to avoid overeating at the next meal.
Let’s look at some of my favorite summer time snacks!
- Raisins and other dried fruit such as apricots, cranberries, apples, – even bananas – are perfect “on-the-go” snacks.
- Dip into better-for-you chips like Garden of Eatin’ Corn Tortilla chips or SkinnyPop for a deliciously crunchy treat.
- Don’t forget healthy dips like guacamole, hummus and salsa that pair with chips and raw veggies for an energy boost!
- Fruit-Yogurt pops: alternate layers of low-fat vanilla yogurt and diced fresh fruit in small paper cups or ice pop molds. Insert wooden sticks; freeze for about 4 hours or until solid.
- Turkey and cheese roll ups with spinach are easy to take along and high in protein.
- Rice cakes with avocado & tomato, or my personal favorite peanut butter and sliced banana.
Blueberry Popcorn Chocolate Crunch
Prep: 5 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
- 2 cups SkinnyPop popcorn
- 2 tablesppons dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup blueberries (may substitute dried blueberries)
- ¼ cup toasted coconut
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl and enjoy.
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA