With summertime activities in full swing, quick and healthy snacks that are easy to prepare are essential. Make healthy eating a priority this summer by focusing on these simple summertime snacking tips!
- Raisins and other dried fruit such as apricots, cranberries, apples, – even bananas – are perfect “on-the-go” snacks.
- Fresh berries are a great addition to yogurt, salads, and ice cream.
- Keep washed, cut up veggies such as carrots, celery, and zucchini on hand for a quick snack.
- When shopping in the grocery store, look for local produce – it’s fresh, in season and at its best price.
- Don’t forget to stay hydrated. Summer heat can cause dehydration and leave you feeling fatigued. Drink at least 64 ounces of water daily, if you are very physically active or work outdoors, your needs will increase.
Perfect Beach Snacks:
- Bring along frozen grapes, blueberries, and orange slices for a cool snack.
- Turkey roll-ups: Wrap lean deli turkey meat around carrot sticks or celery.
- Trail mix: Combine almonds, walnuts, whole grain cereal, and raisins.
- Convenience foods: Look for single serve hummus & guacamole to pair with whole grain chips and raw veggies.
- Light Salads that focus on raw cut-up veggies are satisfing and easy to transport. Check out this simple yet delicious recipe for corn, tomato and avocado salad!
Corn, Tomato, Avocado & Basil Summer Salad
Prep: 10-15 minutes
- 4 ears of corn, husked and cleaned
- 1 pint plum tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced into half moons
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- Handful fresh basil, cut into thin strips
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 teaspoon spicy mustard
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place corn in water, cover and turn off heat for 5 minutes. Remove corn from water and let cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing. Combine all ingredients in a jar, shake well and place in refrigerator.
- Once corn is cool, remove kernels with a sharp knife and place into a large salad bowl. Combine with tomato, cucumber, onion, avocado and basil.
- Toss with dressing and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe tip: Add protein to your salad; consider steamed shrimp, grilled chicken, hard-boiled egg or tofu!
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA