What’s the secret to having beautiful hair, skin and nails? The answer can be found in your kitchen! There is no one magic ingredient that will keep us looking young forever, but an overall well-balanced diet (with lifestyle and attitude) plays a huge role in how we look.
Focus on Protein, the building blocks of skin, hair and nails (keratin, collagen and elastin). Foods: Lean meats, seafood, poultry, legumes and eggs.
If your diet is lacking in the power of protein, you may notice hair loss, brittle nails or dry skin. Protein should be about 10-35% of your daily calorie intake for healthy growth and maintenance.
Go Fish! Our bodies also need essential Omega-3 fats (ALA, DHA, EPA) to make shinier hair, clearer skin, and stronger nails. Oily fish like salmon, tuna, mackerel, and sardines are full of Omega-3’s. Can’t do fish? Plant sources like walnuts, flaxseed and peanuts also contain Omega-3’s. No need to go mega-dosing on fish oil supplements; all you need is 8-ounces of fish per week.
Fruits, vegetables and whole grains are full of health boosting antioxidants our bodies love. Focus on these to get the most benefits.
- Dark leafy green vegetables: kale, spinach, Swiss chard, mustard greens, arugula
- Red, yellow, and orange vegetables: red peppers, tomatoes, carrots, yellow peppers
- Brightly colored fruits: blueberries, strawberries, oranges, pomegranate, cherries, citrus fruits
- Whole grains: rye, oats, brown rice
Grilled Salmon with Citrus-Tomato Salsa
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 large navel oranges, peeled, sectioned and coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup sliced green onions
- 6 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chopped, seeded jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 4 tablespoons I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® All Purpose Sticks
- 4 Salmon fillets (about 1lb.)
Prep Time: 15 mins | Ready In: 15 mins | Servings: 4
- Combine tomatoes, oranges, green onions, 4 tablespoons cilantro and jalapeno pepper in large bowl. Season, if desired, with salt and ground black pepper; set aside.
- Blend I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Spread, remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro and, if desired, salt and pepper to taste in small bowl. Grill or broil salmon, brushing with cilantro spread, until salmon is opaque, turning once. Serve salsa with salmon.
Note: Recipe can be halved.
320 Calories | 170 Calories from Fat | 4.5g Saturated Fat | 0g Trans Fat | 18g Total Fat | 60mg Cholesterol | 160mg Sodium | 13g Total Carbohydrates | 8g Sugars | 3g Dietary Fiber | 24g Protein | 30% Vitamin A | 100% Vitamin C | 6% Calcium | 10% Iron