Smart shoppers know that eating healthy doesn’t have to be difficult or limiting. Choosing the right snacks can help build your nutrition while serving as opportunity to enjoy something delicious. For many people spring is a season of renewal!
Here are some tasty snack ideas to get you invigorated for spring: baby carrots with hummus, low fat Greek yogurt topped with walnuts, banana and peanut butter, rice cake topped with hard boiled egg, spicy almonds, 1/2 pear with slice of cheese, asparagus spears wrapped with low sodium ham, and 1/2 bagel topped with ricotta and sliced strawberries – just to name a few!
Apple Rosette Wraps
Prep: 5 minutes
Makes: 8 Rosettes
- 2 Red Gala Apples
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 8 Tablespoons nut butter (peanut, almond, sunflower)
- 2 large Whole Wheat Tortilla wraps
- Cut apples into quarters, then slice each quarter into thin slices. Place in a flat dish in one layer. Place paper towel over apples and microwave on high for 20-30 seconds. Apples should be soft but not mushy. Let cool.
- Cut wraps into five 1-1/2 inch strips. Spread 1 tablespoon nut butter over tortilla strip and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Layer apples slightly overlapping along the strip. Starting at one end, roll up into a rosette form. Secure the end with a dab of sunflower butter.
- Sprinkle with powered sugar if desired.
Recipe by Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA