New Year Healthy Lifestyles
Jacqueline Gomes, MBA, RDN
It’s a New Year and a new day; relax and enjoy the day. You may be thinking about resolutions or going back to work after a few days off. What ever you decide remember to appreciate all the good that has come into your life and enjoy the thought over a delicious healthy meal with loved ones.
As you plan for the year ahead, whether it’s managing your weight, taking better care of your heart or simply drinking more water, every start is a good start.
7 Tips to Successful New Year…
- Eat breakfast daily. People who eat breakfast are more successful at losing weight and sticking to a diet.
- Add just one fruit or veggie or veggie serving daily. Once you’re comfortable, add an extra serving until you reach 8 to 10 a day. Try my delicious Apple Pie Dessert Bowl below.
- Plan to eat healthier. Focus on planning healthy foods and activities rather than framing your diet around things you should not have.
- Convenience can be healthy. If you’re tight on time, try ready to eat plant-based meals like Tattooed Chef ™ – better for you meals that revolve around ingredients grown in the earth. Find them in the freeze aisle! Another great option is a store baked Perdue® Rotisserie chicken. A ready-to-go excellent source of protein that can be added to salads, soups, tacos and casseroles within minutes!
- Get some sleep! Lack of sleep can increase hunger and affect the body’s metabolism, which may make it difficult to maintain weight loss or lose weight.
- Resolve to exercise more often. Sneak in three 10-minute sessions if you can’t fit in all 30 minutes at one time –look for opportunities to be more active!
- Will to give more of your time. Gather a group of work pals or some of your best friends to participate in a fundraiser or volunteer at a soup kitchen. It is much easier to commit when you have partners by your side.
Wishing you the happiest and best this year can offer.
Baked Apple Pie Yogurt Bowl
Sweet and satisfying – fits the craving for snack or dessert!
Prep: 5 minutes
Bake: 20 minutes
Makes: 1 serving
- 1 Honeycrisp Apple, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1 Dannon® Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup Sugar Free Cool Whip
- 1 Graham Cracker Sheet , crushed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place chopped apple in the center of a large piece of aluminum foil. Bring sides of foil up to create a bowl, add water to the bottom and sprinkle all spice over apples. Fold foil over to create a pouch. Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Remove apples from foil pouch and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt and cool whip.
- Assembly: Add apples to a serving bowl, followed by yogurt/cool whip and top with crushed graham crackers. Add cinnamon to the top if desired!
273 Calories; 49g Carbohydrate; 5g Fat; 13g Protein; 90mg sodium, 5g Fiber