By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
June 27th, 2019
Whole grains are foods that are made from whole wheat, brown rice, oats, whole cornmeal, barley, and other cereal grains. Unlike refined grains, whole grains contain the entire grain kernel and have many health benefits. The grain kernel contains the fiber, vitamins, and minerals that our bodies need to stay healthy.
The health benefits of whole grains are endless! Eating whole grains can help reduce your risk of diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and obesity. Be sure to look for the term “Whole Grain” on our Eat Well Shelf tags in store.
Try something delicious that’s good for you! Nature’s Path Love Crunch Granola are made with Oats – a fiber and nutrient-rich grain that are often rolled into the common, flat flake. They can also be cut into “steel cut” or rolled and cut for “quick cook” oats.
Tip: Replace refined products with whole grain foods. Some examples include whole-wheat pasta instead of white pasta, brown rice, quinoa and barley instead of white rice, whole grain bread products instead of white bread products such as English muffins, bagels and rolls.
For breakfast swap out low fiber cereals for a bowl of hearty oatmeal!
Check out this easy, refreshing and make-ahead quinoa salad; perfect for a too hot to cook night!
Pear Crumble Pizza with Love Crunch Granola
Pizza for dessert – a culinary dream come true. Homemade organic pizza dough topped with pears and raspberries. Love Crunch Dark Chocolate Red Berries add a decadent touch to this gourmet pizza treat.
Makes: 2 servings
Total Prep: 20 mins prep, 20 mins cook
- ½ cup Nature’s Path Love Crunch Dark Chocolate & Red Berries granola, divided
- 2 oz Brie cheese, cubed
- 1 small ripe pear, cored and thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup raspberries
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour
- 1 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1 pkg (2 ¼ tsp) instant yeast
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup very warm water (120 to 130°F)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Directions: Pizza Dough
- Combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, yeast, sugar and salt in bowl.
- Add water and oil and mix until blended.
- Add additional flour if needed to form a soft dough.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface, adding more flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic, about 4 minutes.
- Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
- On a floured surface, roll half of the dough to a 14 x 5-inch oval.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Evenly sprinkle dough with brie.
- Sprinkle with half of the cereal and spread pear over-top.
- Drizzle with honey.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until crust is golden and pears are tender.
- Remove from oven & top with remaining cereal and raspberries.
Source: Nature’s Path