By: Jacqueline Gomes, MBA, RDN
Blueberries are known for their robust nutritional profile. As an excellent source of Vitamin C they contribute to the development of tissues and promote wound healing as well as collagen production. Blueberries are high in Manganese, which helps the body process cholesterol and nutrients such as carbohydrates and protein.
As an excellent source of fiber, fruits like blueberries may reduce the risk of heart disease and adds bulk to your diet, which may help keep you fuller, faster and longer!
Blueberry Bliss doesn’t have to be limited to cakes, pies, breads and muffins. Add dried blueberries to trail mix. Use dried or fresh blueberries in salads or prepare a compote or salsa to serve with fish and meats. Add fresh or frozen berries to shakes, yogurt, hot or cold cereal and more! You can enjoy blueberries in a variety of forms, including fresh, dried, canned, frozen and in juice.
Get creative with blueberries…
Blueberries are a versatile ingredient and pair well with both savory and sweet ingredients such as lemon and mint or cheese, coconut and rosemary. Here is a delicious recipe to broaden your blueberry palate!
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1/2 cup fire roasted corn
- 3 large avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries (thawed), plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small skillet over medium heat, sauté corn in avocado oil until cooked through, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, add avocado and blueberries to a large glass bowl and mash with a fork until combined. Add the reserved corn and the remaining ingredients and mix well to combine. Garnish with blueberries.
- Serve and enjoy–goes great with tortilla chips or as a topping for tacos.