It’s Italian Tonight!
By Jacqueline Gomes, MBA, RDN
Buon appetito! Italian cuisine is one of the most popular cuisines in our area. Traditional Italian foods focus on fresh wholesome ingredients like pasta, fish, vegetables, beans and of course cheese!
If you’re like our family, you look forward to these savory dishes each week!
Here are a few tips on keeping it healthy:
- Choose the right ingredients: Include fish in your diet twice weekly and make vegetables a focal point on your dish.
- Choose lower fat dairy: Ricotta and mozzarella cheese are a staple in many Italian dishes, control the fat by choosing part-skim varieties like Polly-O natural mozzarella cheese.
- Less is more: Keep meals simple with just a few ingredients; pan-seared chicken with broccoli rabe and pasta makes a quick and healthy meal.
- Use fresh herbs: Fresh herbs add vibrancy to meals! Whenever possible add chopped basil or parsley to finished dishes.
- Be mindful: Eat slowly and savor every bite! Don’t forget to share a meal with loved ones.
Pan-Seared Chicken with Broccoli Rabe & Tomato
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15-20 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
For the Broccoli Rabe
- 1 bunch Andy Boy Broccoli Rabe, washed and chopped
- 8 gloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- Kosher Salt & Black pepper
- Pinch Red pepper flakes
For the Chicken
- 5 pounds Green Way Chicken Breast, thin sliced
- Kosher salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (and/or cooking spray)
- 2 Plum tomatoes, sliced thin
- 4 ounces Polly-O Part-Skim Mozzarella, shredded
- Heat a large pan over low-medium heat. Add in olive oil and garlic. Saute garlic until golden, about 2 minutes. Add in broccoli rabe and water, cover and cook until bright green and broccoli rabe softens.
- Season with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, remove from heat and set aside.
- For the chicken: Pat chicken dry with paper towel, season with salt and pepper. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add in olive oil followed by chicken and sear both sides until browned. Place cooked chicken on a baking sheet. Continue with any remaining chicken.
- Meanwhile, Pre-heat broiler in your oven. Once all cooked chicken is placed on baking sheet, top each chicken breast with sliced tomato and mozzarella. Broil until cheese melts, watching to avoid burning (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Plate broccoli rabe onto center of plate and top with chicken breast, serve and enjoy!
Notes & Tips:
- This dish pairs beautifully with your favorite pasta or roasted potatoes.
- Veal cutlets may be substituted for the chicken breast
- Make ahead and reheat
466 Calories; 14g carbohydrate; 18g fat; 63g protein; 643mg sodium; 4.5g fiber