Healthy Post Thanksgiving “Detox”
Jacqueline Gomes, MBA, RDN
While our liver, kidneys and lungs do an excellent job of detoxifying our bodies from harmful toxins and pollutants; we can’t help but think “I need a detox from this Thanksgiving meal!” Between appetizers, alcohol, main dish and desserts you may not be feeling great, so here are some tips to get rid of the bloated, full feeling you have from overeating.
Drink Water: Aim for approximately half your body weight in ounces. If you’re not used to drinking this amount of water, proceed slowly to avoid nausea or light headedness.
Exercise: Exercise is an excellent way to help “feel better”. It’s the best way to control your weight alone with portion control on “non-holiday” days. Physical activity is also a great way to control stress and anxiety during the holiday season.
Eat healthy: Focus on fresh foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean protein (white meat turkey) and whole grains. Eat like this on a regular basis and you’ll find that days like Thanksgiving, Hanukah and Christmas may have no affect on your weight at all.
Post-Thanksgiving Meal Quick Tip: Create a flavorful and festive Turkey stir-fry. Simply combine sautéed fresh mixed vegetables with left over turkey breast and serve with a small portion of left over plain sweet potatoes.
Healthy Leftover Turkey Ideas:
- Turkey & White Bean Soup
- Turkey Veggie Stir-fry
- Turkey Chili
- Turkey Frittata
- Turkey and cranberry wraps
- Turkey over mixed greens
- Turkey & grilled veggies on whole grain bread
Thanksgiving Left-over Turkey Wraps
Prep: 8 minutes
Makes: 2 Wraps
- ½ onion, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups kale
- Salt & Pepper
- 8 ounces cooked Turkey Breast, sliced and warmed through
- 2 whole wheat wraps*
- ¼ cup cranberry sauce
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, add onions. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes and add in kale, season with salt & pepper, cover for 1 minute to wilt kale. Remove cover and continue to cook until crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Lay wrap on a flat surface, top with half cranberry sauce, 4 ounces turkey, kale/onion mixture, roll up and secure with a toothpick if needed. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Serve and enjoy.
*Nutrition information calculated using lower carb whole wheat wraps at 80cal/wrap.
360 Calories; 30g Carbohydrate; 12g Fat; 35g Protein; 610mg Sodium; 5g Fiber