By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
October 26th, 2018
Halloween is one of my favorite holidays; with all of the excitement surrounding costumes, decorations and chocolate goodies, I get ready for my trick-or-treaters way in advance! I love handing out treats at my door; here are some tips for you at home:
Non-food treats: Create a safe environment by handing out glow-sticks, stickers, toothbrushes, fancy pencil toppers, bookmarks and coloring books.
Handling candy at home
- Keep candy in a location only accessible to you. Consider giving away the candy or disposing of it after a few days.
- Inventory the Halloween treats for forbidden and safe treats; allow a few pieces on Halloween night.
- Give one piece of candy along with a healthy food such as fresh fruit or at the conclusion of a healthy lunch or dinner.
- Always brush your teeth after eating candy – perhaps there is a new toothbrush in your Halloween bag!
Having a Halloween party?
This is a great opportunity to offer better-for-you Halloween treats parents and kids can enjoy together.
- Veggie and cheese kabobs – garnish serving tray with plastic spiders, bugs, and bats!
- Pick up mini Halloween candy bags and fill with home-made trail mix. Combine dried fruits such cranberries, apricots & raisins with granola and dark chocolate pieces.
- Invite your guests to make their own chocolate covered apples and dip in pecan pieces, coconut, or cereal.
- Bake quick breads such as zucchini and banana bread – add apples, pears or dried fruits for extra sweetness and nutrients.
- Incorporate seasonal fruits and vegetables such as pumpkin and apples. Pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pie, baked apples, apple cider are all popular choices.
- Party activity ideas: decorating pumpkins, dunking for apples, costume contest, pin the heart on the scarecrow, face painting and decorating cookies or cupcakes.
Raisinet Spiders are a perfect snack that the kids can help assemble. These are a hit at any Halloween party.
Prep: 20 minutes
Makes: 10 spiders
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 20 round crackers
- 80 thin pretzel sticks
- 20 NESTLÉ RAISINETS Milk Chocolate-Covered Raisins
- Spread about 2 teaspoons peanut butter over top of 10 crackers. Press 8 pretzels into peanut butter, arranging 4 on each side to resemble legs.
- Top with remaining crackers. Dab top of cracker sandwiches with 2 peanut butter dots. Place 1 Raisinet on each dot to resemble eyes.
Recipe by: Very Best Baking by Nestle®
These adorable mini-spider brownies are sure to be a hit at your Halloween Party!
Prep: 25 Minutes
Cooking time: 10 Minutes
Makes: 24 Brownies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Nestle® Toll House® Baking Cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) Nestle® Toll House® Dark Chocolate Morsels
- 1/2 teaspoon Nescafe® Clasico® Pure Instant Coffee Granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- Black rope licorice
- 1 container (16 oz.) prepared chocolate frosting
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Googly eye candies
- PREHEAT oven to 350° F.
- COMBINE flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. In medium saucepan over medium heat, add in butter, chocolate and espresso powder. Melt together while stirring. Remove melted chocolate from stove and add in vanilla extract, brown sugar, and sour cream. Mix until combined then add in egg yolk and vigorously whisk. Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir until fully combined.
- GREASE a mini muffin pan. Using a mini ice-cream scoop, drop rounded scoops into muffin pan.
- BAKE for 8-10 minutes, or until donut muffins rise and crack along top. Cool in pan until ready to assemble.
- Unwind licorice and separate into individual ropes. Cut into 1-inch sections. Spread about 1 teaspoon of chocolate frosting over chocolate donut holes and then press licorice legs into muffin one by one. Place googly eyes on and then sprinkle with chocolate jimmies/sprinkles.
Recipe by: Very Best Baking by Nestle®