August – the days of summer when you feel like you can fry an egg on the pavement! You know you have to eat, but the last thing you want to do is fire up the stove for another heat wave. Instead, let’s prepare some healthy and tasty eats that require minimal prep!
Protein essentials: Canned Tuna/Salmon/Sardines, store prepared rotisserie chicken, steamed shrimp, nuts, seeds, hard boiled eggs, canned beans, cheese and yogurt.
Sensational Summer Salads: Create a variety of different salads using chopped lettuce and crunchy veggies. Add your protein from the list above and your meal is done.
Simple Summer Sandwiches: Start with whole grain bread as your base, top with sliced avocado, rotisserie chicken breast, lettuce & cucumber for crunch. Add a side salad to boost your veggie intake.
Cold pasta salad: Although you do have to cook the pasta, that’s a minimal cooking step. Toss cooled pasta with ripe tomatoes, red onion, spinach, peppers, cucumber and a protein for a heartier meal. You can substitute other veggies as well!
Strawberry, White Bean and Edamame Salad
Prep: 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cup shelled frozen edamame
- 1 1/2 cup strawberries, quartered
- 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 cups baby spinach
- Rinse edamame under cool water to defrost. Set aside.
- Rinse white beans and drain. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk vinaigrette ingredients. In a medium sized bowl, toss all ingredients except spinach and vinaigrette. Serve on individual plates by nesting strawberry; white bean and edamame mix atop spinach. Drizzle with dressing.