By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
When you think frozen food, do you think healthy? Well you should! Foods found in the frozen aisle can be a convenient and easy way to increase your intake of fruits, vegetables and lean protein!
It’s a myth that frozen fruits and vegetables are less nutritious than fresh. In fact, frozen fruits & veggies are picked at the peak of their ripeness before heading over to a plant for immediate freezing.
Here are some tips to make healthy choices!
- Choose fruit without added sugar or syrup such as unsweetened strawberries & blueberries.
- Be aware of any vegetables with added sauces or cheeses. Instead, choose plain vegetables and frozen potatoes like Alexia Sweet Potato fries.
- Look for frozen meals with less than 600mg of sodium and those that contain ingredients that are not fried.
Waffle Fry Breakfast Stack
A fried egg, crispy prosciutto, melted Gruyère and sautéed baby spinach are layered on a bed of Alexia Waffle Cut Sweet Potato Seasoned Fries in this elevated breakfast stack.
Prep: 5 minutes
Total Time: 28 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 Bag Alexia Waffle Cut Sweet Potato Seasoned Fries (20 oz)
- 4 Prosciutto, thin slices
- 4 tsp Olive Oil
- 4 Eggs
- Black Pepper
- 2 C Baby Spinach
- 3 oz Gruyère Cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 425 ̊ F.
- Place Waffle Cut Sweet Potato Fries on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 25-28 minutes, flipping halfway through to ensure maximum crispiness.
- While fries are baking, place prosciutto in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 6 minutes.
- Working in batches, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add two eggs and fry to desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a plate. Cover to keep warm and repeat with remaining oil and eggs.
- Add spinach to the same skillet and cook until warm, about 1-2 minutes. Season with salt.
- To assemble stack, divide half of waffle fries onto four plates in a single layer. Top with spinach, Gruyère and prosciutto. Top with remaining waffle cut fries, followed by a fried egg
Recipe By: Alexia Foods