I don’t know about you, but I love summer salads! Summer time produce is abundant and rich with flavor! Tomatoes are sweeter and in general produce appears richer in color! Think about a many varieties of peppers in green, red, yellow and orange. Salads are a great way to add variety and a bounty of nutrients to your diet. Here are some ideas to get you started on a better summer salad:
- Build your base: Lettuce, spinach and kale are all terrific starters. You can make a salad feel heartier by starting with quinoa, wild rice or barley.
- Add Crunch: Carrots, cucumber, peppers, snap peas, string beans, broccoli, red onion, cabbage and corn
- Sweet additions: blueberries, strawberries, apples, dried cranberries, raisins, apricots
- Power up with protein: Grilled chicken, canned tuna, crab meat, sliced steak, salmon, eggs, cheese, chicken peas, edamamme, tofu, nuts, beans and legumes
- Fun extra’s: Diced boiled potatoes, whole grain croutons, avocado, sprouts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds
- Dressing: Combine a fat with acid; for example Olive oil & Balsamic vinegar, Lemon juice, mustard & sesame seed oil, etc.
Spinach Salad with Steak & Blueberries
Combine steak, walnuts, blueberries and feta cheese in this simple salad and you have yourself a healthy and satisfying supper.
Makes: 4 servings, about 2 cups each
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons fruity vinegar, such as raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil or canola oil
- 1 pound sirloin steak or strip steak (1-1 1/4 inches thick), trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Pulse 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup walnuts, vinegar, shallot, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor to form a chunky paste. With the motor running, add oil until incorporated. Transfer the dressing to a large bowl.
- Sprinkle steak with pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the steak about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare, 6 minutes per side for medium. Let rest on a clean cutting board for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach to the bowl with the dressing; toss to coat. Divide the spinach among 4 plates. Thinly slice the steak crosswise. Top the spinach with the steak, feta and the remaining blueberries and walnuts.
Per serving: 392 Calories; 26 g Fat; 5 g Sat; 7 g Mono; 68 mg Cholesterol; 11 g Carbohydrates; 29 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 494 mg Sodium; 748 mg Potassium