October is Breast Cancer Awareness month; research has shown that eating a healthy diet and getting regular exercise can help reduce your chances for getting cancer and many other non-communicable diseases. Make sure to practice a healthy lifestyle each day.
- Limit your intake of saturated fats, such as red meat. Eat more healthy fats, like fish, nuts and olive oil
- Fill up on fiber… Fruits, vegetables and whole grains, to be exact.
- Watch your alcohol intake. A glass of red wine or beer occasionally may actually benefit your health
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes, five times a week
- If you are at or above the age of 40, be sure to have a mammogram one time per year and breast self-exam monthly. Prevention is the best medicine!
A healthy weight also significantly contributes to health status. Seek a Registered Dietitian for a nutrition screening and assessment if you are at risk. For more information on cancer prevention and to learn about raising awareness, contact the American Cancer Society.
Greek Chicken with Tomatoes, Peppers, Olives & Feta
Lemon, mint, and a garnish of crumbled feta cheese bring the flavors of Greece to this easy chicken dish. If fresh Roma tomatoes aren’t available, canned tomatoes will provide the same cancer-fighting nutrients and vivid color.
Greek seasoning salt, combine:
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup flour
- 8 teaspoons Greek seasoning salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced lengthwise
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced lengthwise into strips
- 3 Roma tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 3 tablespoons Kalamata olives, chopped
- 3 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- Dredge chicken in flour mixed with 4 teaspoons of Greek seasoning.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add chicken, sautéing for 3 to 4 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add onion to skillet and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook another 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet and cook 1 to 2 minutes, sprinkle with remaining Greek seasoning. Mix in tomatoes.
- Remove from heat, transfer to serving dish, and sprinkle with olives and feta cheese.
Per serving: 210 Calories, 9.5g Fat
From: American Cancer Society