Back to School with Breakfast!
After a 10 to 12 hour fast Breakfast is the first dose of fuel your body gets for the day. Avoid a case of sleepy-eyes and set aside time each morning for breakfast.
Incorporate “brain foods”! These include foods that are high in antioxidants (like blueberries) and rich in omega fatty acids (like nuts and seeds).
When you’re short on time think quick and portable foods like sandwiches and smoothies and breakfast bars. Prepping food the night before is also a major time-saver!
Did you know? Though 93% of Americans agree that it is the most important meal of the day, a recent study found that 56% never eat breakfast!
Here are a few breakfast ideas for your family to enjoy:
- Whole wheat Bagel with cream cheese and sliced strawberries
- Homemade Breakfast bars
- Fruit & Yogurt Smoothies
- Egg and Cheese Sandwich
- Grilled cheese on whole wheat bread
- Peanut butter & Banana roll-up (place ingredients inside a whole wheat wrap, roll-up and go!)
- Overnight Oats
Peanut Butter Protein Bars
Chobani® Vanilla Greek yogurt is an excellent source of protein. Bake a batch of these bars, crafted with creamy peanut butter, for a grab-and-go weekday breakfast, or as a post – workout snack!
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 20 minutes
Makes: 24 servings
- 1 ½ cups Chobani® Vanilla Blended Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup ground flax seeds
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter*
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks, divided
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flax seeds, oats, coconut, and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together yogurt, eggs, and honey. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well.
- Add peanut butter to oat mixture and mix until fully incorporated. Fold in ¼ cup dark chocolate chunks, cranberries, and chia seeds.
- Line a 13”x9” baking dish with parchment paper. Press oat mixture evenly onto dish. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt remaining ¼ cup of dark chocolate chunks in the microwave for 1 minute. Remove and stir chocolate until completely melted.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over bars as desired and garnish with a pinch of sea salt. Let cool completely before cutting into 24 (2-inch) bars. Wrap leftovers and refrigerate.
Allergy Note: May substitute soy butter or sunflower butter for the peanut butter if needed.
Courtesy of Chobani®
Nutrition Information: For one bar
197 Calories; 19g carbohydrate; 6g Protein, 11g fat; 82mg sodium; 4g Fiber