By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Warmer days are ahead! The sunshine seems to lift our spirits and can help us get through this very long quarantine. You may find yourself gravitating towards fresher ingredients and lighter foods as the seasons change.
- Salads and vegetables are a great way to start. Dole Italian Blends Salads are an Excellent source of Vitamin K and an excellent source of Folate, which helps maintain a healthy heart.
- The sweetness of romaine gets a boost of flavor from radicchio, a truly Italian ingredient!
- The smooth red leaves add a spicy and pleasantly bitter taste. For a taste of Tuscany, try this blend with fresh herbs, aged cheese, and imported vinegar and olive oil.
Eat Well Tip:
Plant foods are beneficial for several reasons. They’re generally lower in calories and pack more healthful nutrients than refined carbohydrates and meats that tend to be high in sugars and saturated fats. Plants foods can help with weight management and obesity prevention. They can also help fight oxidative stress and keep blood sugar levels in check. One particular plant-based diet noted for health benefits is the Mediterranean Diet, which has been linked to improved blood flow, kidney health and longevity.
Source: Dole Nutrition Institute
Bowl of Bliss
Breakfast is embracing greens like never before. Red quinoa adds color and protein to the sesame and ginger flavors of the DOLE® Chopped Sesame Asian Kit. Papaya and tart cherries add a touch of sweetness to this crunchy, satisfying bowl that is a perfect blend of breakfast bliss.
Total Prep: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 pkg. DOLE® Chopped Sesame Asian Kit
- 2 cups diced papaya
- 3/4 cup cooked red quinoa
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons salted pumpkin seeds
- COMBINE salad kit ingredients with papaya and quinoa.
- DIVIDE the salad between four serving bowls then top with dried cherries and pumpkin seeds.
Tip: You can add dried cherries right out of the bag or soften them for a few minutes. Bring water or juice to a boil, add the cherries, and they will soften before your eyes.