By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
It’s that time of year again – when the smell of sugar literally fills the air! Going light on some of your recipes can go a long way to help reduce unwanted calories and weight gain. Many recipes can tolerate a healthy renovation without affecting the taste or texture of the food.
- Reduce the amount of fat, sugar and sodium: For baked goods, use half the butter, shortening or oil and replace the other half with unsweetened applesauce, mashed banana or prune puree.
- Make a healthy substitution: Use plain Chobani Greek Yogurt in place of cream cheese, butter, heavy cream and oil. Plus, you’ll get a healthy dose of protein!
- Delete an ingredient: In some recipes, you can delete an ingredient altogether such as frosting, coconut or candied nuts.
- Change the method of preparation: Use healthier cooking techniques such as braising, broiling, grilling and steaming.
- Change the portion size: No matter how much you reduce, switch or omit ingredients, some recipes may still be high in sugar, fat or salt. Smaller portions have less fat, calories and sodium and allow you to eat a wider variety of foods during a meal.
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Makes: 24 Servings
- ½ cup Chobani ® Whole Milk Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 ¾ cups whole milk
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 cups quartered strawberries
- 4 cups thin sliced rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt and milk. Add flour and ½ cup sugar and mix until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, toss together strawberries and rhubarb in remaining 1 cup of sugar until evenly coated.
- Spread rhubarb and strawberry mix on the bottom of a 9″x13″ glass baking dish. Pour batter evenly over top of rhubarb and strawberries.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly brown on top. Remove from oven and brush top with melted butter. Return to oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.
Recipe Source: Chobani.com