As we embark on a New Year filled with new goals and dreams, remember to take a few minutes to reflect on yourself. Here are my 5 tips to feel great in 2016…
- Meditate…its becoming more mainstream than you might think. Mediation has been shown to reduce stress in even the most type A personalities. It can also help reduce blood pressure.
- Choose wholesome…Lean proteins like fish, chicken, beef and beans, veggies, fruits and whole grains! Build your diet around these foods and limit processed foods as much as possible.
- Exercise: Sneak in just three 10-minute sessions or 30 minutes a day. Exercise not only helps in managing weight, but it is a sure fire way to help increase feelings of wellness!
- Sleep: Lack of sleep can increase hunger and affect the body’s metabolism. Lack of sleep can also increase stress making it more difficult to deal with normal daily activities. If you’re having trouble sleeping, talk to your doctor about cognitive therapies that can help.
- Increase Fiber. Most Americans lack adequate fiber. Strive for 20-35 grams daily. Foods rich in fiber include vegetables, fruits, whole grains and beans.
Easy to Eat Well Tip! Meal prepping ahead of time is a terrific way to ease into your week with less work and less stress! Here’s a simple-sample of how I prep for my lunches all week long!
Grilled Chicken Breast with Roasted Vegetables
Oven roasted Vegetables:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Wash and cut broccoli and carrots into bite size pieces. Spread on baking sheet, season with garlic powder, pepper, salt and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Let cool and place in food storage container.
Prep time: 5 minutes. Cook time: 30 minutes.
Once your veggies are in the oven, start your yams…
Oven Roasted Yams
(Oven already preheated to 450 degrees F).
Scrub yams with food brush under cold water. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Slice yams 1/4-inch thick. Spread evenly on baking sheet and spray with cooking spray, season if desired, however I enjoy yams simply baked since they are so sweet! Bake for 10 minutes and then turn each slice over and continue baking additional 10-15 minutes. Let cool and place in food storage container.
Prep: 5 minutes: Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Grilled Chicken Breast: Season chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder and lemon juice. Grill stove top or on outdoor grill. Let cool and place in food storage container. Refrigerate.
Prep time: 5 minutes, Cook time: 15 minutes
So there you go, lunch is done! Now, portion chicken breast, vegetables and yams into a take along container to work and reheat when you’re ready. I usually do 5 to 6 ounces chicken breast, 1 1/2 cups vegetables and about 4 ounces yams.