Blend Your Breakfast: It’s Smoothie Time!
With temperatures rising, standing over a hot stove to make your breakfast may not sound very appealing. Give yourself a break from the heat by whipping up a refreshing smoothie instead. Smoothies are a great way to get your recommended 1 ½ to 2 cups of fruit and 2 to 3 cups of veggies per day, and they couldn’t be easier to make.
While you can get as creative as you wish with your smoothie recipes, start with this basic formula:
- 1 to 2 cups of liquid. Try orange juice or Green Way Organic Milk.
- 2+ types of fruit. Feel free to use fresh or frozen fruit! If you want to skip the rinsing and chopping, try these convenient frozen fruit options:
- Something green. Toss in a handful of spinach, kale, or parsley for extra Vitamins A and C, iron, and plenty of other vitamins and minerals.
- A thickener. Ingredients like Ice Cream (many brands on sale this week!), Foodtown Greek Yogurt, Green Way Organic Peanut Butter, avocado, coconut, or Green Way Old Fashioned Oats will add heartiness and help fill you up.
- Ice cubes. If you’re using fresh fruit, add some ice cubes to get a nice thick texture.
- Sweeteners like Green Way Organic Honey or agave nectar, fresh herbs, and spices like cinnamon, ginger, or turmeric can pack extra tastiness into your smoothie.
Not sure where to start? Try one of these easy recipes!
This simple recipe includes raspberries and strawberries, plus half an avocado for heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. Dates and honey add a little extra sweetness.
Recipe & image: Serious Eats
Mangoes and peaches get a little kick from freshly grated ginger in this twist on a traditional Indian yogurt-based drink.
Recipe & image: Bon Appetit
Locate a Foodtown grocery store near you to stock up on the ingredients you’ll need for these delicious smoothie recipes. Be sure to check out our Weekly Circular and digital coupons for ongoing savings!